Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Poisonwood Bible, Friendship, and Mr. Carl Lindstrom

Well, I finally finished this wonderfully written and emotional roller coaster of a book. Barbara Kingsolver is an amazing writer. This is the story of Southern Baptist faimly living in the Congo as missionaries during the late 1950s. It is told from the point of view of the mother and 4 daughters. It is a story of tragedy, loss of life, personal growth, and personal decline. It's about faith, hope, love and the absence of these three. I think this is one of my favorites. (I know I say that every time) I just bought Prodigal Summer written by Kingsolver, and I hear it is just as good. She weaves so many literary elements in The Poisonwood Bible, and I know she will do the same with Prodigal Summer.

My favorite character in the book is Adah because of her palindromes, cynical wit, and strong free will. Everyone would be lucky to have a friend like Adah. I'm starting a new book today before I read Prodigal Summer. It's called Water for Elephants. If anyone has read it, please let me know what you think.

As the day progresses, and my nap moves on, I realize some things. You can't make people do the right thing. The only thing you can do is leave them to God, and let them know you will be there for them through thick and thin. If a person chooses not to believe this or doesn't accept it, then there is nothing you can do. (I know that sounds weird coming from me because I am not that religious, however, I believe it none the less.) Until vital important questions can be answered, you can't move on to better things. All you can do is know in your heart you did the right thing despite the consequence. Keeping the good times rolling is not always the best thing at the time, and I have to stand up and fight for what is right. Friendship is thanksgiving. I am grateful for all of them, even the tough ones in my life. I don't and won't take them for granted or forsake them. I've learned a lot this week and frankly i'm exhausted.

For my friend who is fighting the good fight right now. I love you. Your family is going to be blessed once you crush those demons and I'm so proud of you for trying. There are so many people in your life that will benefit from the choices you are making now. Stick to the plan and know that blessings lie beyond the pile of crap you are feeling like now. (Remember ur dumb, and smiley is always watching you) hahahah :)

I'm sadly missing the good time at BT's and Claytor Lake right now. I hope that all my pals in the VA are having a blast! I got the BEST phone call from Mr. Carl Lindstrom today letting me know all of the ailments of my friends in the VA; I guess we are getting older now. Apparently, Greg Allen has some scrotum problem, Randy Jarrells has hemorrhoids, and poor Leslie Martin has a herpe on her lip! Gosh, who knew our old vice principal kept up on such things! Thanks Scotty! I laughed harder than I had in weeks, and I needed that!

Shout OUTS <3
Erin--I miss you already. Vesta--I always miss you. Jd--I hate the Raiders. Lora--Oh no! It wasn't me! It was the one armed man! Jodi--I was RUNNING! Tina--Take your 70 degree weather and shove it! Christina, Annette, Vanessa--I love your faces.

That's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment